Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Pomp and Circumstance

Excuse the cross-post, but I figured I'd share here as well. I posted the article this morning on "My Crazy Amazing Military Life", to read more over there, click here: YES HERE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

‘Tis the season for graduations. Well, this past weekend, I finally walked in my cap and gown. I completed my graduate program last fall and already received my Masters degree in the mail, but I hadn’t walked yet. It’s a little odd because while I finished the program in 2007, I’m considered part of the Class of 2008. Ah, heck, I’ll take it. :) It was an exciting occasion, and I was delighted to have my husband home to share it with me.

I commenced my studies back in the Spring of 2006 because I had an interest in one course the program was offering. It was “Terrorism”. Right up my alley, I thought. I dabbled in the subject when I was active duty and study the obligatory “Terrorism Awareness for Marines” as part of my path for advancement. Still, I couldn’t justify signing up for just one graduate level course so I opted to apply for the entire degree program.

Along the way, I studied White Collar Crime, Forensic Behavioral Analysis, Victimology and many other enthralling subjects. Many of my classmates were police officers, justice system employees as well as military personnel and veterans. It wasn’t an easy program, but the knowledge I gained and bonds I developed with my classmates were worth the struggles.

My husband has been telling everyone. He’s so proud. I’ll admit, he wasn’t always 100% behind me on this. He figured a Bachelors was sufficient and more than most people had attained in their lifetime. I told him, I’m not most people. He argued it would be expensive. Yes, but it’s an investment and it’s not something I’ll ever lose. He even said I already was employable and had a portable career. Right again, but this was I made up my mind on. (Truth be told, I love being a student).

I have always wanted to work within the Federal Government and after doing research in fields that interest me, I knew that this degree program would give me a leg up on some of the competition in my field. Now, that it’s all said and done, he’s glad I went through with it. He cringes everytime I utter the letters “PhD” though. Alright, so that may be many, many years down the road, but a girl can dream can’t she?

So, ladies, if you are thinking of going back to school, get out there and get your education on. You can do it! If I can do it while juggling kids, a job and a fluctuating deployment schedule, so can you.

No comments: