Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Battle for "Me" Time

I am super excited today because I am going to the dentist. Yippee!

What? Me? Love the dentist?

Not hardly. Rather, I can't wait to have time to kill in the waiting room and read a good book.

Secretly, I've been anxiously awaiting my next appointment because I know there won't be any children climbing on me. I know that the dentist will run late (don't they always?). I know that I have a book I've been dying to read. I know that the waiting room will be relatively quiet. I know there will be no dirty dishes or piles of laundry in sight guilting me into cleaning. I know that I will have some "me" time.

Seriously, it's become a battle for me to find any quiet time lately. With the holidays, birthdays and homecoming these past few weeks, we've been out straight. I've attempted to dodge the draft of preparing anything for anyone, but, alas, a woman's work is never done. Or is that a mother's work? I suppose they can be interchangeable. I will say that impose a great number of these burdens on myself.

About 7 or 8 months ago, I started feeling that I needed to be a Suzy Homemaker of sorts. After the Christmas season though, I lost all the zeal I had for that venture. I'll admit, right now (at this very moment) I'm in a motherhood slump. I've slacked on crafts. I've been remiss in my duties to teach my children about the inner workings of the solar system. I've been screening my calls so as to avoid chatter with some folks who just call to say hi. I've become a party-pooping recluse.

Fear note, spring is here. With any luck, the weather will actually warm up, and I'll get the much needed kick in the arse to find the motivation to be Supermom again. Today though, I'll settle for a good book in the dentist's office. I'll settle for just being me for a few minutes, without a care in the world. Then, I'll trudge on back home and make dinner, do the laundry, pay some bills and go to bed just to get up and do it all over again tomorrow.

2 comments:

Flo said...

I don't know how you do it, chickie. We just adopted a two month old puppy and I've barely slept the entire time. He can't be walked, he has to be carried. I'm watching his every move to try to prevent him from squatting to pee. I'm absolutely delirious, and he's a DOG.

Tons of big kudos to you and your mommy accomplishments, you're definitely an inspiration to the kidless ladies like me :)

Just a Girl in a Port said...

Awww schucks. You are too much. Seriously.

We've got a new puppy too, so I know exactly what you are going through. I don't know if ANYONE actually sleeps in this house anymore.