Search This Blog

Friday, June 13, 2008

Blisters and X-Rays

My most recent stupid move was not wearing gloves today. I had the brilliant plan of hand tilling my backyard. It was a bit of a big job, but we need grass back there. It's quite barren and gets awful muddy with any amount of rain. So, I decided to pick up where I left off a few weeks ago. I was doing great, until I started to get tired. I think I tilled 10 square feet at this point. Sad, I know.

Here's the kicker...

Gardening Gloves are not just for beauty. No, my friends, they serve a purpose. A purpose for which I did not utilize them. Now, I'm sporting a very sore and raw open blister. Nasty, isn't it? There's today's stupidity for you.

Rewind to this morning...

After discussing my penny-eating child with the doctor yesterday because of recent complaints and symptoms from her, they asked me to bring her in for today. Doc checks her out and all appears fine. To err on the side of caution, she ordered an abdominal x-ray. The man in blue was doing "darkened ship" work today, so couldn't miss work. As such, I had all of the children with me. Well, you, obviously, can't bring all the little ones into the room with you when once child is being x-rayed. So, the screaming baby and worrisome older sister were "watched" by some of the lovely nurses at the hospital. Meanwhile, inside the radiology room, I was begging, pleading and fighting against a very anxious and frightened little girl.

It broke my heart. She was so scared. She's normally not, so that's what made this all the worse. I couldn't calm her down. The radiologist, well he had the bedside manner of Attila the Hun. He was no help. The sweetest nurse did come in to help me. Still, it was traumatizing and they couldn't get a good shot for the little one was writing and squirming so much. So, we had to endure too many tries. Heartbreaking I tell you.

Afterward, as we were on our way out, I saw the film. There it was. The big ole coin (which now I wonder if it was a penny) in my tiny girl's body. We saw the doc for a follow-up. She recommended a few things and if we don't think/know that it's passed in another week, we have to go back.

So, there you have it. My day in a long-drawn out, very winded blog post. And, that's just two of the things that happened today. Can you imagine the book you'd be reading, if I told you everything?

2 comments:

Stuart said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amber said...

Amazingly enough, I can imagine the novella that your whole day would require. ;)

Sorry for your little punkin' girl. That really stinks about the coin. :( I hope everything, er, comes out okay...

As for the blister, OUCH. Don't you hate when things like that happen? I hope you at least get some pretty grass out of it... The yard, I mean...not your blister...

(I think the time away from the computer is affecting me in a strange way...)

OH, and sorry about the deleted comment...apparently Mr. Man decided to use my computer...